I consider birth photography to be one of the greatest honours I’ll ever have as a photographer. To be there to capture the moment a new life enters the world – it’s a thrill, but also a responsibility I take very seriously.
After shooting an in-home maternity session with Katrina, Monica and their son Finn, just a few days later I was invited along to document their birth as well. See their slideshow here:
As noted in the video, at the last minute I was not allowed into the theatre. Although Katrina had a scheduled c-section (due to baby’s breech position) and had gotten previous approval, sometimes that’s just the way the ball rolls and I respect the medical professionals (and the family’s desire for a stress-free experience) too much to argue.
Luckily in this case the anaesthetist happened to be an amateur photographer and offered to take some snaps on my camera of the actual surgery, which I later edited. And I picked the camera back up again as soon as they came out of the theatre to document Baby Elliott’s first feed, meeting her big brother and other family members, skin-to-skin time with both parents, and a few days later I came back to photograph her first bath.
Here’s what I can offer you in a birth photography package:
- We can meet in person prior to booking to make sure it is a good fit. I want you to have the right person along for this journey.
- I am “on-call” for two weeks before and after your due date. I take no more than 1 birth client per month to ensure I can be there for you.
- We’ll stay in close contact during this time and decide, depending on your circumstances, at what point in your labour I will join you.
- Whether you’re having a scheduled induction, a homebirth or any other myriad birth experience I’m there for the long haul and will stay through baby’s birth through to about an hour post-partum.
- I try to send 2-3 edited photos to you the same day if you’re interested in sharing on social media (NB I will never share anything on my social media without consulting you first!)
- Within 2 weeks you’ll receive a gallery of 75+ hi-res images which are yours to download, share, print and use however you’d like.
- I can also create a custom slideshow and birth announcement for you.
- FOR A LIMITED TIME: I am offering a special of just $500 for a birth photography package. (Dependent on availability.)